If the doctoral candidate wishes to publish his/her dissertation under the publication series of the Philosophical Faculty, the candidate must contact the editor in charge of the series after he/she has been granted permission for a public examination. The editors of the publication series of the Philosophical Faculty are Professor Päivi Atjonen (School of Educational Sciences and Psychology), Professor Tuula Keinonen and University Lecturer Sirpa A. Kärkkäinen (School of Applied Educational Science and Teacher Education), Professor Matti Kotiranta (Theology) and Professor Pertti Anttonen (Humanities).
Instructions for language checking, layout and printing:
- The Philosophical Faculty’s financial support can be used for the basic layout, printing and proofreading of the dissertation and abstract written in a foreign language. The Philosophical Faculty will grant assistance to cover publication of 50 printed copies. Ask for further information on Faculty’s support from postgraduate amanuensis, FiloDoctoralstudies(at)uef.fi.
- The doctoral candidate shall be responsible for arranging the proofreading, layout and printing with UEF’s contractual service providers, contact details from postgraduate amanuensis.
- The author of a doctoral dissertation draws up a timetable for publication. When planning a timetable, the time needed for proofreading, layout, editing, printing and delivery of books must be taken into account. In addition, a doctoral candidate must contact the series editor-in-charge
- The doctoral candidate has to make sure that the printing house delivers the printed books to the library at least 10 days (rather two weeks) prior to the public defence. The doctoral candidate takes care rest of the delivery.
2–3 months before the public examination:
- Doctoral candidate ensures that the linguistic form and appearance of the manuscript are finalized. Also titles, table of contents and bibliography must be checked carefully.
- Abstracts in Finnish and English must be included with the doctoral dissertation. Foreign-language abstracts should be reviewed by a language specialist.
- Making a publication agreement with the editor-in-charge.
- Doctoral candidate requests the editor-in-charge to obtain an ISBN code.
- The author of a doctoral dissertation obtains a series publication catalogue and attaches it to the end of the manuscript. The publication catalogue is maintained by the editor-in-charge.
- Agreement on layout, preparing the cover of the doctoral dissertation and the printing schedule should be arranged with the printing house.
- The layout version must be given to the editor-in-charge to view before the correction draft is prepared at the printer’s.
About one month before the public examination:
- The printing house prepares the correction draft of the folded version
The doctoral candidate checks the correction draft carefully and makes all the required corrections to the text. The responsibility for checking and correcting the text rests with the doctoral candidate. The correction draft must also be delivered to the editor-in-charge for viewing.
- The editor-in-charge issues their approval for printing the doctoral dissertation.
- The doctoral dissertations published in the faculty’s series are also released as e-publications by the university library.
Two weeks before the public examination:
- The doctoral dissertation should be on public display in the university library at Joensuu campus 10 days before the public examination. The printing house delivers 12 printed copies to the university library.
- The printing house delivers 32 copies for doctoral candidate.
- The doctoral candidate delivers the printed copy in good time before the public defence: examiner, faculty representative, custos, pre-examiners, supervisors, rector, dean and vice-deans, head of the school, editor, postgraduate amanuensis and departments’ offices. Appointment arrangements to the Rector with secretary: linkki rehtoreiden yhteystietoihin)
Proofreading of the dissertation and abstract written in a foreign language
- The faculty’s financial backing for proofreading can be used only once, mainly after the pre-examination of the dissertation manuscript, with the exception of articles that have already been published. Ask further information about faculty’s financial backing from postgraduate amanuensis.
- The doctoral candidate sends the finalized manuscript for proofreading, and postgraduate amanuensis accepts the order. The manuscript should be sent without bibliography and appendices which do not require proofreading.
- If the doctoral candidate wants to provide dissertation text or abstract for translation, this must be done at his/her own expense and he or she can choose a translator freely.
Layout and printing
- Layout preparation of the book may be done personally or carried out by the printing house. If the doctoral candidate does not have experience with layouts, it is best to give the work to the printing house.
- A loose title page is placed next to the front cover of the dissertation. The page is printed separately. Information concerning the public defence is printed on it in addition to the title of the work and the full name of the author. Model for the loose page is available on the web page of the doctoral programme.
- The author of a dissertation must check the pdf-layout carefully before the printing.
- The Philosophical Faculty covers the costs for publication of 50 printed copies, from which the author receives about 10 copies. If the author wishes to have more personal copies, s/he can order them at her/his own expense. Financial backing from the faculty cannot be used to purchase extra copies.
The author of the dissertation requests the printing house to deliver books as follows:
- 6 free copies
- 12 copies to the library:
Joensuun kampuskirjasto, Carelia
- 32 copies to doctoral candidate
Doctoral candidate takes care of the next delivery:
- Faculty representative
- Rector or Academic Rector of UEF
- Dean and Vice-Deans of the Philosophical Faculty
- Head of the School
- Editor of the publication
- Postgraduate amanuensis
Copies to the departments for the Faculty Council members:
- Office of Education, Futura-building
- Office of Education, Educa-building
- Office of Humanities, Agora-building
- Office of Theology, Agora-building
- Office of Psychology, Metria-building
- Teacher Training School, Tulliportti, Joensuu