Arriving in Finland
When planning your travels to Finland, please check the current instructions for border crossing with the Finnish border guard: https://raja.fi/en/frontpage (opens in a new tab). For now there are no Covid-19 restrictions on the border traffic in Finland.
The Finnish Institute of Health and Welfare, THL, offers information on health security measures on entering Finland (opens in a new window).
Getting to Helsinki (opens in a new tab)
Travelling from Helsinki to your campus city
Both campus cities Joensuu (about 440 kilometres north-east from Helsinki) and Kuopio (about 380 kilometres north-east from Helsinki) are very accessible from Helsinki: several trains and buses daily to both of them.
- VR, Finnish Railways (opens in a new tab). The trains from Helsinki to Joensuu and to Kuopio leave from the Central Railway Station.
- Matkahuolto, long distance bus services (opens in a new tab). The busses to Joensuu/Kuopio leave from the Helsinki city centre (Kamppi central bus station).
- Onnibus, long distance bus services (opens in a new tab). The Onnibus Busses leave from the Helsinki city centre (Kamppi central bus station).
- Finnair, international and domestic flights (opens in a new tab)
Public transport from the Helsinki airport (opens in a new tab) If you wish to travel by train directly from the Helsinki airport to the campus city, you should first take a local train from the airport to Tikkurila and from Tikkurila you can take a train to Joensuu or to Kuopio.
Please note that you are entitled to student discounts on Finnish trains and buses only if you have the Finnish student card. In order to receive one, you have to register as a UEF student and your tuition fee and the Student Union fee have to be paid and your study right has to be valid. The electronic student card is ordered online. See the instructions how to join the Student Union (opens in a new tab).
Arriving in your campus town
- In order to get the keys for your accommodation, we recommend you to arrive during the opening hours of the housing office: Joensuun Elli in Joensuu and Kuopas in Kuopio.
- If your student tutor is in the campus city when you arrive, the tutor might be able to pick up the key for you if you inform them about your arrival well in advance. The tutor will then meet you on your arrival.
Arriving in Joensuu
The Joensuu airport is located about 11 km from the Joensuu city centre. There is usually a bus leaving after each flight from the airport to the city centre. Airport info (opens in a new tab).
City of Joensuu (opens in a new tab)
Public transport (local buses) in Joensuu (opens in a new tab)
Joensuu Campus map and Parking on Campus (opens in a new tab)
Lecture rooms on Joensuu Campus (opens in a new tab)
Joensuu Campus Facilities (pdf)
Arriving in Kuopio
The Kuopio airport is located about 14 km from the Kuopio city centre. Airport info (opens in a new tab).
During Mon – Fri until 19.35 there is a bus but please note that there is no public transportation from the airport to the city during the weekends, nights, or evenings after 19.35 but you have to take a taxi which is a lot more expensive. If available we recommend trying to take an airport taxi (shared taxi). Make sure you check the fare from the taxi driver beforehand.
City of Kuopio (opens in a new tab)
Public transport (local buses) in Kuopio (opens in a new tab)
Kuopio Campus map and Parking on Campus (opens in a new tab)
Lecture rooms on Kuopio Campus (opens in a new tab)
Kuopio Campus Facilities (pdf)
General Health Instructions
If you get any flue or stomach flue symptoms after your arrival, remember the safety instructions (avoid meeting anybody, keep the distance, hand and coughing hygiene). If necessary, contact the health care by making an appointment by phone.
Health care in Joensuu: Siun Sote (opens in a new tab)
Health care in Kuopio (opens in a new tab)
You can also complete a symptom assessment at omaolo.fi (opens in a new tab). If necessary, the Omaolo service will instruct you to call the help support number at 116 117 available 24/7.
Check these before arriving at the airport (opens in a new tab)
UEF information on the coronavirus (opens in a new tab)