What is Zoom?
Zoom is a remote meeting software that allows teaching and group work activities to happen across the Internet. Zoom has tools for sharing your desktop, phone screen, webcam and sound. Zoom runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS and Android.
Registering an account for Zoom is not mandatory for students when you only want to join your teacher’s Zoom sessions. However, Zoom allows you to register as a free user with a Gmail or Facebook account.
Free users can create 1 to 1 meetings for free with infinite meeting time, or up to 40 minute meetings with more than two participants (for up to 100 participants in one meeting). If you need Zoom for course-related group work, please consult your teacher about the possibility that they’ll create the meeting for you.
You can install Zoom-desktop app on your computer by running this install file on your computer (opens in a new tab).
You can also join Zoom-meetings with your browser as well. When you are about to join a Zoom meeting after clicking the invitation link, you will be given this following option: If you cannot download or run the application, join from your browser. Please note that browser Zoom is more limited in functionality compared to the desktop application.
You can also download ZOOM Cloud Meetings-app on your mobile phone or tablet. You can find this app in Play Store (Android) and Apple Store.
Joining a Zoom-meeting
You can join a Zoom-meeting by clicking the link provided by your teacher or the person arranging the meeting. If your teacher has added the Zoom activity on their Moodle-course, you can click the Zoom activity on the Moodle course to join.
You can add your own audio device to the Zoom meeting to participate using your voice. After joining the meeting, select Join Audio from the bottom left corner. After this, select Join with Computer Audio.
You can check which audio device has been selected for Moodle by clicking the arrow up (^) button next to the microphone image in the bottom left corner.
Tools in meeting
Your Zoom meeting view has all the necessary tools in the bottom tool bar. These are:
- Invite: You can invite other participants with this button if necessary.
- Participants: You can view the participant list by clicking this button.
- Share: You can use this to share your computer or mobile screen to other participants, given that teacher has given you the permission to do so.
- Chat: Use this to participate in chat with the teacher and other participants
- Record: If the meeting and teachers have allowed you to do so, you can use this to record the meeting as a video file to your computer.
- See also: UEF backgrounds for online meetings (Requires login)
If you already have the Zoom desktop client installed, you can check for updates:
- Sign in to Zoom desktop client
- Click your profile picture then click: Check for Updates
If there is a newer version, Zoom will download and install it.