A part-time (10%) contract of employment will be concluded between the University of Eastern Finland and a grant-funded researcher when the following criteria are met:
- The grant has been awarded by an external organisation, meaning an organisation other than UEF.
- The grant-funded researcher has made sure that the funder’s grant decision allows the conclusion of a part-time, concurrent contract of employment with the university during the grant period.
- The grant-funded researcher is responsible for ensuring that the organisation awarding the grant approves the concurrent contract of employment with the university.
- Any other terms of the grant decision must also be taken into consideration.
- The research grant has been awarded and the research is linked or can be linked to:
- doctoral research, of which researcher has the right to pursue postgraduate studies in a doctoral programme of the University of Eastern Finland) or
- other research conducted at the University of Eastern Finland as a postdoctoral researcher or senior researcher.
- The duration of the grant period is a minimum of 12 months, which is also the minimum duration of the contract of employment.
- The part-time (10%) contract of employment is always concurrent with the grant intended for full-time research.
- The grant period of a UEF Grant-funded Researcher must continue for a minimum of 12 months after 1 June 2021 in order for a contract of employment of a minimum of 12 months to be concluded with them.
- The 12-month grant period can consist of several grants awarded by an external organisation.
- The grant has been awarded for research work, a so-called working grant, and it must enable full-time research.
- Finland must be the country of work and residence, and it has been confirmed that the grant researcher belongs under Finnish social security legislation for the whole duration of the employment.
- The duties will be defined separately in a work plan to be prepared in collaboration with the head of the unit concerned.
- Researchers come under the total working time system, and the annual working time in a part-time, 10% contract is equivalent to 160 hours.
- A contract of employment will be concluded if an agreement on the duties can be reached (160 hours/year).
- Depending on the person’s career phase, the professional title associated with the part-time (10%) contract of employment is either Early Stage Researcher (doctoral research/postgraduate studies) or Postdoctoral Researcher/Senior Researcher (post doc research).
- In addition to the part-time (10%) contract of employment, an agreement on working as a grant-funded researcher at UEF is always concluded and, when necessary, a separate agreement on the transfer of rights.
- The grant-funded researcher is responsible for finding out about taxation and pension related issues from the tax administration and from the relevant pension insurer.
- The grant-funded researcher must make an initiative to conclude a part-time, 10% contract of employment with the University of Eastern Finland by filling out an electronic form. NOTE! Before submitting this form, please familiarise yourself with the criteria on which grant-funded researchers at UEF can conclude a part-time (10%) contract of employment (above).
- A contract of employment is concluded without discretion whenever the criteria are met and an agreement on the duties can be reached.
- After the grant-funded researcher has submitted the electronic form, the process proceeds internally at UEF. The head of the unit will discuss the duties with the grant-funded researcher proposing a contract of employment, and the head of the unit makes sure that the criteria are met.
- If an agreement can be reached on the duties of the grant-funded researcher, and if the criteria for concluding a contract of employment are met, the head of the unit gives the unit's HR staff an assignment to start preparing a contract of employment as per the normal procedure, including the terms of employment, such as salary and title.
This initiates the normal employment contract process, as part of which the employee is instructed to prepare a work plan in accordance with the university's guidelines pertaining to work plans.
- With the conclusion of a contract of employment, the grant-funded researcher also concludes an agreement on the transfer of rights as part of the contract of employment with UEF. In addition to the contract of employment, an agreement on working as a grant-funded researcher at the University of Eastern Finland is concluded for the same time period.
If a grant-funded researcher applies for a leave of absence from their part-time contract of employment, they shall be entitled to a part-time (10%) contract of employment of a corresponding length after their leave of absence, provided that their grant period continues. In these cases, the duration of the contract of employment may be shorter than 12 months, which otherwise is the minimum length.
How flexible is the time criteria?
A grant-funded researcher who meets the criteria listed below and who has a funding of at least 12 months, has a subjective minimum right to conclude a 10 % part time employment contract with the university. The departments are only bound by this minimum right, therefore you can negotiate about concluding the employment contract even before 1.6.2021 or for a shorter period than 12 months.
Is there supervision of work available?
The researcher will be familiarized with the working tasks the same way as any other new staff. The employee will have information about working in UEF and other guidance needed will always take place at department level.
What to do when confronting problems at work?
In confrontational situations at work you can contact the labour safety representative of your own unit concerned. When having health problems contact the occupational health care and when encountering inequality in university, contact the UEF contact persons of equality.
Does the opportunity to part time contract of employment concern only Phd students or post doc -researchers as well?
Part time employment concerns both PhD students and post doc- researchers. The research in both cases should be linked to research conducted at UEF.
Can the international research grants be taken into account?
International research grants can be taken into consideration, if they equate the finnish grants.