Suspending the studies

The Unemployment Security Act’s provisions on the right to unemployment benefits if university studies are suspended for a minimum of one year have been repealed by the new Unemployment Security Act (1290/2002, Finlex database) that entered into force on 1 January 2013.

The university does not issue suspension certificates to students for unemployment benefit applications any more. You can prove the suspension of your studies with, for example, an official transcript of records.

Individuals who have demonstrably terminated their university studies, i.e. obtained a degree or given up their right to study, are entitled to unemployment benefits. Unless there is cause to believe otherwise, persons have demonstrably terminated their studies when:

  • they have graduated;
  • they have given up their right to study at the university;
  • they have lost their right to study or the right has been revoked; or
  • their studies have been demonstrably suspended for a minimum of one year.