Students registering as being absent will not take any courses or sit any exams during the semester/academic year in question. Students who have registered as being absent will not pay the Student Union membership fee and thus are not entitled to any student benefits. Students registering as being absent must also register within the registration period.
To register as being absent:
- log into My Studyinfo with the same confirmation link that you used to confirm your study place
- Proceed to register in the Oili registration service.
- If you are unable to register in the Oili registration service, you can register as being absent by contacting the Student and Learning Services’ customer service (contact information at the bottom of the page).
Note, however, that according to the Universities Act, a first-year degree student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:
- service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995);
- the student requires leave from their studies in order to take care of their child following birth or adoption;
- the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury. (In this case, it should be made clear that this entails incapacity for the entire semester or academic year.)
If you register as absent, you must prove the legal grounds for your absence. Documents proving the legal grounds for your absence should be sent via email or postal mail to the Student and Learning Services’ customer service (contact information below) by 30 September.
NOTE! If you do not have any of the three reasons defined in the Universities Act as stated above, you must register as being present for your first year. You must register as being present even if you cannot travel to Finland and start your studies. In these cases, registration will be done remotely by sending the required documents (a copy of passport, registration form, and the receipt of the Student Union payment) to Student and Learning Services’ customer service (contact information below).