Multi-factor authentication will be deployed for staff, students, and other groups during year 2020
Multi-factor authentication (MFA) will be deployed to the staff and students of UEF in phases during the year 2020. MFA enables reliable identification of the Office 365 users of the university and prevents the phishing and abuse of usernames. Public authorities (inter alia Office of the data protection ombudsman) recommend the use MFA to prevents abuse of data.
MFA works the same as a login to an online bank. After logging for example in to the O365 service with your credentials (username and password), you have to accept the login with your mobile device or by providing a changing confirmation code.
How does the MFA affect me?
– Multi-factor authentication will be required during a login to the university’s O365 environment outside of the university network. Such situations can be while using the O365 services with a personal device or a mobile phone. If you have a university administrated computer, MFA will not be usually required.
– If you use your UEF email on your mobile device, we recommend installing the Outlook for iOS or Outlook for Android, as the device’s native email app might not work with MFA.
– MFA deployment will be carried out by a project and deployments will be made on a unit-by-unit as the schedule below. Please choose the authentication methods as a self-service registration before MFA is deployed. The registration makes the first sign in after MFA has been deployed easier.
– More information and instructions for the registration and deployment can be found in Heimo: Multi-factor authentication.
– If you want to deploy MFA beforehand, complete the registration and then fill this form: MFA deployment form.
– There will be short information sessions during the fall about the deployment of MFA. Schedule of these will be announced later.
If you do not register before deployment, the registration will be forced the first time you login outside of university network after the deployment of MFA.
MFA will be deployed as the schedule below. We are in separate contact with each unit.
• IT Services, Financial Services, General Administration and Legal Affairs,
Human Resources services, and Deployment services spring 2020
• Student Services 24.8.2020
• Library 24.8.2020
• Aducate 31.8.2020
• Language Center 31.8.2020
• UEF Teacher Training School 1.9.2020
• Philosophical Faculty 7.9.2020
o School of Humanities
o School of Educational Sciences and Psychology
o School of Applied Educational Science and Teacher Education
o School of Theology
• Faculty of Science and Forestry 21.9.2020
o Department of Physics and Mathematics
o Department of Chemistry
o School of Forest Sciences
o SIB Labs
o Department of Applied Physics
o School of Computing
o Department of Environmental and Biological Sciences
• Faculty of Health Sciences 28.9.2020
o A.I. Virtanen Institute for Molecular Sciences
o School of Pharmacy
o Department of Nursing Science
o School of Medicine
• Faculty of Social Sciences and Business Studies 5.10.2020
o Department of Geographical and Historical Studies
o Department of Health and Social Management
o Business School
o UEF Law School
o Department of Social Sciences
o Karelian Institute
• University Pharmacy 20.10.2020
• Students 7.10.2020
• Aducate students
• Other groups 14.12.2020
More information can be asked from the IT Servicedesk. Back
Contact information: https://www3.uef.fi/en/web/tipa/asiointipalvelut