application deadlines both for exchange studies and clinical training
As we have a limited amount of placements available, you should file your application for both autumn semester (September - December) and spring semester (January - May) between 1 March and 30 April in previous spring. We usually do not have anything to offer for those who leave their application submission for the spring semester to previous autumn (1 August and 30 September).
Application instructions for exchange students
For clinical studies at least three years of medical studies are required. Please note, that in some of the courses four years of medical studies are required (see the list below).
Further information on the application process: How to apply as an exchange student (opens in a new tab).
Application instructions for trainees
Unfortunately, we are able to offer placements only for students from our partner universities (please, check from your home institution exchange coordinator if there is an existing partnership).
For clinical practice the departments usually prefer 5-6th year medical student in their selection. You should have completed at least the theoretical studies concerning the specialties applied before arrival. You can start a practical training period only if you have followed the equivalent theoretical course and passed the examination. For example, it is not possible attend to Gyneaecology and Obstetrics training if you have not studied the subject or have failed the examination. The practical training always starts on Mondays, preferably at the beginning of the month, and it is organized full-time, meaning 7-8 hours a day, Monday-Friday, 35-40 hours a week. The minimum duration of the practical training for each unit is four full weeks (6 ECTS), shorter training placements will not be organized. Students will get only ECTS credits from the practical training period, not a grade. Once the agreement is signed by the student or we have confirmation from the department, the student cannot modify his/her programme.
We are not able to accept students for the summer period (June - July) due to the lack of mentoring doctors during the summer holiday season. Please note: the number of places is limited. One exchange student per unit per month. Students are not supposed to arrange these placements on their own with the departments. Instead, all contact must go through Tarja Koponen, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can offer placements mainly in Internal Medicine and Surgery. Some placements are available in Anesthesiology and Paediatrics. Upon application we need to know the clinic/clinics you are interested in. The minimum period for exchange is two months and for each unit 4 weeks.
The specialties available in surgery are:
- Cardiac surgery
- Abdominal surgery (colorectal surgery and upper G-I surgery, different wards)
- Vascular surgery
- Pediatric surgery
- Plastic surgery
Further information on the application process: Trainees (opens in a new tab).
Although the whole curriculum for degree students is at WebOodi (opens in a new tab) also in English, those courses are offered in Finnish only. Because of this we have an English program for medical exchange students (opens in a new tab). (Please note, that our degree programme is completely full, and thus, you cannot take degree programme courses during your exchange even if you are fluent in Finnish language). The course list differs slightly each study year depending on the departments joining the exchange program.
You are also welcome to select courses from other departments. Please note, however, that all the lectures, practicals etc. are obligatory in the English program for medical exchange students, and thus, you need to be careful with overlapping teaching events.
courses for the study year 2020-2021
(Course code, Course name, ECTS, Timing, Note)
- 4411941, Infectious Diseases, 4.5 ECTS, September - October.
- 4424700, Clinical Neurology for Exchange Students, 6.5 ECTS, 1.-29.11.2020, Only for students doing their 4th - 6th year of medical studies during the exchange.
- 4424650, Neurosurgery for Exchange Students, 2 ECTS, 30.11.-11.12.2020, Only for students doing their 4th - 6th year of medical studies during the exchange.
- 4424550, Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 8 ECTS; The course is held four times per term: 17.8.-11.9.2020, 14.9.-9.10.2020, 19.10.-13.11.2020, 16.11.-11.12.2020; Course is held in Finnish, but the main points are translated. The course is mandatory for those taking practicum, and thus, they are prioritised. Only for students doing their 5th - 6th year of medical studies during the exchange.
(Course code, Course name, ECTS, Timing, Note)
- 4424750, Ophthalmology, 6 ECTS, 18.1.-12.2.2021, Only for students doing their 5th - 6th year of medical studies during the exchange.
- 4424550, Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 8 ECTS; The course is held four times per term: 11.1.-5.2.2021, 8.2.-5.3.2021, 15.3.-16.4.2021, 19.4.-14.5.2021; Course is held in Finnish, but the main points are translated. The course is mandatory for those taking practicum, and thus, they are prioritised. Only for students doing their 5th - 6th year of medical studies during the exchange.
- 4411948, Oncology, 3 ECTS, January - March, Only for students doing their 4th - 6th year of medical studies during the exchange.
- (4411943, Radiology, 3 ECTS, Note! The Radiology course will not be arranged on spring 2021)
- 4411944, Anesthesiology and Intensive Care, 3 ECTS, weeks 9-11.
- 4424451, Pediatrics, 14 ECTS, 22.02.2021 - 07.05.2021, Only for students doing their 4th - 6th year of medical studies during the exchange.
- 4218527, Pharmacology for Exchange Students, 4-8 ECTS, February-May, The exact meeting times will be agreed with participating students.
NB! International health care workers and students: health examination (opens in a new tab).
the International Student Services of the University of Eastern Finland: email@example.com.
The School of Medicine
Departmental Coordinator Marko Pietilä, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Incoming international students, provide assistance with all sorts of practical matters concerning the courses
- Outgoing international students
Teaching coordinator Tarja Koponen, email@example.com
- Incoming international students, provide assistance with all sorts of practical matters concerning clinical practice