Students that have completed their Master’s degree or PhD degree at the University of Eastern Finland have the right to complement their studies after graduation with continued right to study.
Students entitled to continued right to study:
- Students, that have completed their Master’s degree, or a Bachelor’s degree with no right to complete a Master’s degree (pharmacist or kindergarten teacher) on 1.8.2019 or after.
- Students, that have completed their PhD degree i.e. their licentiate or doctorate degree on 1.1.2020 or after
Continued right to study is defined in the University Study Regulations (16 §).
What can you study when you have continued right to study?
Students who have activated their continued right to study may study in the university in accordance with a minor subject study right or complete minor subject studies which the student has received the right to study during their degree studies. Check the list of minor subjects at the university. Any restrictions on education participation is specified in the curricula.
A student with a continued right to study is entitled to get an official transcript of academic records on the studies the student has completed.
What is continued right to study?
Continued right to study is a non-degree study right.
The study right is valid from the next day after the completion of a degree and it always terminates after the academic year on which the degree was completed and the following two academic years are over. The continued right to study is thus valid for maximum of three years. For example, if a student has graduated on 31.10.2019, the continued right to study is valid from 1.11.2019 to 31.7.2022.
Students cannot apply for an extension to the continued right to study.
How can I apply for the continued right to study?
You can activate the continued study right on the degree application form when you apply for your degree.
If you have already graduated, you can apply for the continued study right with an electronic application form (opens in a new tab).
If you are unable to fill the electronic form, please contact the Student and Learning Services’ customer services (contact information at the bottom of the page).
Students having the continued right to study do not need to register annually, since the attendance is marked for the entire time that the continued right to study is valid.
UEF account, access rights
Students having the continued right to study have the same UEF-account that they had as a degree student. Respectively, they also have the same access rights.
Student union membership
Students having the continued right to study may join the student union, the membership is voluntary. However, students having the continued right to study are not entitled to the services of Finnish Student Health Services (YTHS) and as thus need not pay the healthcare fee for students in higher education to KELA (the Social Insurance Institution of Finland). Students having the continued right to study are also not entitled to student discounts on public transportation or student priced meals at the university canteens. More information on the benefits offered by the student union membership.
If a student having continued right to study wants to join the student union, please contact the Student and Learning Services’ Customer Service in order to receive payment information. You can do this when you activate your continued right to study or later.
Frequently asked questions
Who is entitled to the continued right to study?
- Students, that have completed their PhD or Master’s degree, or a Bachelor’s degree with no right to complete a Master’s degree at the University of Eastern Finland (Study regulations 16 §)
- Students that are studying or have studied with a non-degree study right are not entitled to the continued right to study.
- Depends on the studies and the nature of recognition of prior learning.
- Inclusion? In most cases recognition of prior learning by inclusion is not possible.
- Substitution? Depends on the content of studies.
Can a student studying with a continued right to study do a traineeship abroad or study as an exchange student?
A student cannot do their traineeship abroad or study abroad as an exchange student with the continued right to study. Exchange programmes, networks and bilateral agreements of the University of Eastern Finland are only for degree students who wish to do their traineeship abroad or study as an exchange student.
Can a student with continued right to study take courses that are available for degree students, but are organised by another higher education institution (cross-institutional studies)?
Often yes, but there might be restrictions in the curriculum or in the cross-institutional studies agreement. Consult your UEF coordinator or amanuensis.
Can a student have a degree right and a continued right to study at the same time?
As a rule, no, but there might be some exceptions.
A course’s number of participants is limited, and it has quotas for different student groups. Is a student with a continued right to study always accepted to the course?
Check the limitations in participation in the course’s curriculum.
Can a student take courses of their former main subject, optional or not optional?
If the number of participants on the course is limited, then no. If there are no limitations, then yes.
Can I study languages with the continued right to study?
You can take courses in the Language Centre with the continued right to study. You have to choose among optional courses. You cannot take courses that are a part of a degree, because they are not a part of any minor subject.
For further information:
For further information on studies, contact your study coordinator or:
Faculty of Science and Forestry: Kaisa Laitinen
Philosophical Faculty: Riikka Myllys
Faculty of Health Sciences: Susanna Järvelin-Pasanen
Faculty of Social Sciences and Business Studies: Annikki Honkanen and Anne Korhonen
Language Centre: Lauri Tolkki and Satu Karhapää-Puhakka
Contact information is available also in the UEF Connect.
For further information on registration and applying for the study right contact the Student and Learning Services’ Customer Service:
The Student and Learning Services’ customer service desk offers general study counseling, information on term registration and study rights and maintains the student register. The customer services desk also provides student certificates and transcripts of records.
Phone number: +358 29 445 8900
- phone service Mon–Fri from 10 am to 3 pm (10–15)
- from 1 June to 31 July, phone service available Mon–Fri from 10 am to 2 pm (10–14)
- the Student and Learning Services’ customer service desk is open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10 am to 3 pm (10–15).
- from 1 June to 31 July the Student and Learning Services’ customer service desk is open on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10 am to 2 pm (10–14).
NOTE! Remember to check the exceptions to Student and Learning Services' customer service opening hours.
Email address: email@example.com
- If your message contains confidential information, contact us and we will give you instructions on how to send your message encrypted.
- Joensuu Campus, Aurora building, entrance A, ground floor (Yliopistokatu 2)
- Kuopio Campus, Canthia building, 2. floor, Oppari (Yliopistonrinne 3)
- Joensuu: University of Eastern Finland/Student and Learning services, P.O.Box 111, FI-80101 Joensuu
- Kuopio: Postal address: University of Eastern Finland/Student and Learning services, P.O.Box 1627, FI-70211 Kuopio