Effective study skills are an important element in achieving academic success. Studying at a Finnish university may differ considerably from studying in some other country, and international students may discover that they need to adapt their study habits to be able to meet the academic requirements.
University Computing Skills (8031006, 2 CP) course helps you to effectively work, for example, with the text processing, spreadsheet and presentation software at the university environment.
The University Computing Skills course covers the following topics: UEF online services, as well as introduction to the basic use of text processing, spreadsheet and presentation programs (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
The student will learn how to create, e.g., tables and indexes, and how to use styles. The things to be covered as regards the spreadsheet programme and the presentation graphics software include, e.g., basic formulas and functions, charts and presentations.
After completing the course, the student can:
- use computers to aid in their studies
- use the various online resources and services of the University of Eastern Finland
- use the Moodle online learning environment
- produce a text document using styles, a table of contents, tables, images, graphs, references and various headers and footers
- produce simple tables and calculations and utilise functions and formulas with a spreadsheet tool
- create presentation graphics using a presentation tool.
The course may be completed by taking a skills assessment test to demonstrate your proficiency, participating actively in exercises and completing the course assignments with a pass grade or passing the final exam or the final exam retake.
Please notice that students may substitute the course with an RPL demonstration of proficiency. This is possible by either taking the skills assessment test held during the first course session, or by taking the final exam or final exam retake.
University Computing Skills is organized next time in autumn semester 2022. More information, schedules and contact details see Peppi (use the course code 8031006 to find the course description).