Distance learning means studying that is non-place-bound and may also be non-time-bound. Usually, the studying is partly or entirely online. Hybrid learning combines different forms of studying. In hybrid learning, teaching is both local and online.
In distance learning, one’s own activity is very important. The ability to concentrate and schedule one’s own studies also plays an important role.
Tips for successful distance learning and teaching:
- Arrive on time.
- It is polite to open the camera while you speak.
- Use your microphone and participate in the lesson.
- A headset prevents background noise and echo.
- Be present in teaching and mentoring situations.
- If the connection is lost or unstable, log in again using the same link.
- All conversations are confidential. Feel free to participate.
- Discuss online etiquette.
- Schedule breaks together.
- Take notes. Write down insights and questions that come to mind.
- Keep in touch with fellow students and continue the discussion.
- Be yourself. Each person participating enables successful distance learning.
When studying online, you will need an internet connection and a computer with the necessary programs. The programs required in the studies determine whether a mobile device is sufficient.
In e-learning, the teacher may put together the learning materials and teaching in an e-learning environment (e.g., Moodle) but they may also send the materials via e-mail. In online teaching, discussions and group work can also be carried out like usual.
Tools for students
Due to the Coronavirus pandemic, university-level guidelines change teaching practices, and this changed information has been put on the page Studying and teaching arrangements during the coronavirus situation.
Support Channels for Students page contains different support channels, opening hours and contact information.
Digital environment page contains the web services used at the university and instructions on how to use them. Wistec’s video guides offer a lot of tips for Office programs and more.
You can find a lot of tips for more information in the Student life and well-being category and especially on the Providers of help page.
Variable information related to students is communicated in: