The UEF Opiskelijat // UEF Students community in Yammer is the main channel for UEF student communications. The content includes
- news and bulletins for all students (including the News page in Kamu)
- other informal communication
In addition to the UEF Opiskelijat//UEF Students community, Yammer is also a good place to follow the UEF Ajankohtaista//UEF Current News community, which is directed at the university as a whole.
The main channel for communication for postgraduate students (doctorate or licentiate) is Yammer’s Tohtorinkoulutus//Doctoral education community. The doctoral programmes also have their own channels, which you should follow to stay on track with their events and other important bulletins related to doctoral studies. The Yammer also has several other groups, such as the research funding group, which anyone completing their postgraduate degree should join.
Kamu is a students’ knowledge base on studying at the University of Eastern Finland. Kamu has all the instructions common to all students, such as the Guide for New Students, links to different services and the News section,the content of which includes
- bulletins for all UEF students, in both Finnish and English
- updates to common instructions and guides
- exceptional opening hours
- UEF services and events for students
Study communities are study programme or academic subject-specific online sources of information and instructions. They serve as knowledge bases for students and contain instructions and other information that is important for studying. Built in the Office 365 environment, study communities require a login with UEF username. It is good to follow at least the study communities of your major and minor subjects and the information they disseminate. Study communities can be found here: study communities
Study communities are not used when studying at the Open University or completing a postgraduate degree, with the exception of the Language Centre’s study community.
Other communication channels aimed at students
Open University and continuing professional education students can use the same communication channels as other students. It is important to follow Yammer and Kamu. The subject-specific communication channel for Open University students is Moodle.
Communicating about exceptional circumstances and disruptions
When a disruption or exceptional circumstances are known in advance, information about the situation will be disseminated in the communication channel related to the service and in the UEF Students community in Yammer.
The main channel for crisis communication is a text message or an e-mail service.
Principles of student communications at UEF
- Students have access to up-to-date information that is relevant to their studies.
- The languages of student communication are Finnish and English.
- The student communication channels should be clear and understandable.
- As a rule, communications are aimed at a specific target group.
- The contents of bulletins are clear and the headlines are descriptive.
- Communication aimed at students is implemented and developed taking into account the needs of the students.
- The principles of student communication are timeliness, reach, understandability, reliability, openness and interactivity.