(For finnish students only: Jos sinulla on suomalainen henkilötunnus, kirjaudu verkkopankkitunnuksilla Oma opintopolku-palveluun osoitteessa opintopolku.fi. Oma opintopolku -palvelussa voit ottaa opiskelupaikan vastaan. Hyväksymiskirjeessä on ilmoitettu viimeinen paikan vastaanottopäivämäärä. Paikan vastaanoton jälkeen voit siirtyä ilmoittautumaan Oili-palveluun Oma opintopolku-palvelussa olevan linkin avulla.)
NOTE! First year master’s degree students are obliged to register as being present for the whole academic year (unless you have a legal ground for an absence, see chapter below: Registration as being absent).
Confirm the study place no later than 15 May 2019. You have received an email with a confirmation link. Click the link and confirm the study place.
In case you cannot do it online, please use the paper form and send it to the address email@example.com by 15 May 2019 (for Finnish applicants, the confirmation deadline is 8 July 2019).
- If you are obligated to pay a tuition fee, remember to pay the fee (only non-EU and EEA students studying in English) no later than 14 June 2019. Instructions and invoices will be sent by email for those who have to pay the tuition fee after they have confirmed the study place. The tuition fee must be paid before registration.
- Log into My Studyinfo with the same confirmation link that you used to confirm your study place. Then proceed to register in the Oili registration service. Register as present (i.e. attending) and pay the student union fee online no later than 31 July 2019.
Registration in person
If you cannot register online, you should register in person at Student and Learning Services no later than 13 September 2019.
The office hours in the summertime (June-July) are Mon - Fri 12 - 14. From 1 August to 13 September the office hours are Mon - Fri 10 - 15.
Joensuu Campus: Student and Learning Services
Visiting address: Yliopistokatu 2, Aurora Building A, 1st floor.
Mailing address: P.O. Box 111, FI-80101 Joensuu, Finland
Tel. +358 294 458 900, Fax +358 13 318 110, Email: opiskelu(at)uef.fi
Kuopio Campus: Student and Learning Services
Visiting address: Yliopistonranta 1 C, Canthia Building, 2nd floor
Mailing address: P.O. Box 1627, FI-70211 Kuopio, Finland
Tel. +358 294 458 900, Fax +358 17 162 323, Email: opiskelu(at)uef.fi
Please present the following documents upon registration:
1. your identification card (ID card or passport)
2. your registration form duly filled out and signed
3. your receipt of the payment of the Student Union membership fee (a receipt issued by your bank, an ATM receipt or a print out from your online bank)
4. your receipt of the payment of the tuition fee, if you are obligated to pay tuition fees
Student union membership
The Student Union (ISYY) membership fee is €126 for the full academic year. The Student Union (ISYY) membership is mandatory for Master's degree students. The Student Union (ISYY) membership will entitle you to a variety of benefits.
- If you register online, you pay the Student Union membership fee with a credit card upon registration.
- If you register in person, you can pay the fee in advance into Student Union bank account using the information below. You can also pay the fee in your own Finnish bank after you have arrived in Finland and opened a bank account. It is also possible to pay the fee in cash or with a credit card at the Student Union office.Recipient: Student Union of the University of Eastern Finland
Recipient's address: Yliopistokatu 7, FI-80100 Joensuu, Finland
Bank name: North Karelia Osuuspankki
Bank address: Osuuspankki/OP Bank//Pohjola Bank Plc
IBAN: FI37 5770 0520 2461 63
Reference number: 50005
Fee: 126 €
Remember to show the payment receipt when you register at the Student and Learning Services. Please note that you are responsible for any possible transfer fee your bank may charge!
see page Student card and the term sticker
Non-EU/EEA citizens are required to pay for tuition. If you are obligated to pay tuition fees, you will receive an invoice after you have confirmed your study place. The invoices will be sent after the deadline for confirming the study place, i.e. after 15 May.
You must pay the tuition fee before registration. After you have paid the first instalment of the tuition fee, you can register for the whole academic year.
Finnish personal identity code
International students staying longer than three months in Finland should obtain a Finnish Personal Identity Code (henkilötunnus). You need it for e.g. activating your digital student card, opening a bank account, and for university database and statistical purposes. The personal identity code will also make it easier to deal with different Finnish authorities.
Students from non-EU/ETA countries can apply for the Finnish Personal Identity Code when applying for the residence permit. It is highly recommended to do it early! Read more
If you do not apply for the Finnish Personal Identity Code when applying for the residence permit, in order to get it later, you have to visit the local Register Office during the first three months of your stay. Ask to be registered in the Finnish Population Information System - this means that you get your Identity Code and your postal address in Joensuu/Kuopio is registered.
After receiving the identity code, please inform the Student and Learning Services about it either by visiting the office or sending an email. You can visit our office and present the identity card or another document that displays the identity code. If you cannot visit our office in person, you can also inform us on your identity number by email: opiskelu(at)uef.fi. Your identity code will be entered into the student register only after the Student and Learning Services receive it, and only after that you will be able to order your digital student card.
Activating your UEF user account for the university's IT services
After registration, students can activate their user account for the university's IT services online. The user account is needed to log in to the university network, to read email and to sign up for courses and exams electronically. Further instructions on how to activate the user account
Registration as being absent
According to the Universities Act, a first-year degree student may register as absent for the academic year for the following reasons only:
1) service under the Conscription Act (1438/2007), Non-Military Service Act (1446/2007), or Act on Women's Voluntary Military Service (194/1995);
2) maternity, paternity or parental leave;
3) the student cannot begin studies due to being incapacitated by personal illness or injury. (In this case, it could be made clear that this entails incapacity for the entire semester (or academic year).)
If you register as absent you must prove the legal grounds for your absence. Documents proving the legal grounds for your absence should be sent via post to the Student and Learning Services (Student and Learning Services, P.O. Box 111, FI-80101 Joensuu, Finland). Your documents must be received by 30 September 2019.
NOTE! If you do not have any of the above three reasons defined in the Universities Act, you must register as being present during your first year. You must register as being present also if you cannot travel to Finland and start your studies. In these cases, registration will be done remotely by sending the required documents (a copy of passport, registration form, and the receipt of the Student Union payment) to Student and Learning Services.
Students registering as being absent will not take any courses or sit any exams during the semester/academic year in question. Students who have registered as being absent will not pay the Student Union membership fee and thus are not entitled to any student benefits. Students registering as being absent should also register within the registration period.
Registration at the university comes under the provisions of the Universities Act (558/2009).