University of Eastern Finland is again a target of active phishing. IT Services seeks to develop actions again phishing and now we are deploying a Microsoft O365 information security feature, Safe Links. IT Services’ staff has used it already for some time and it seems to work effectively against phishing links.
Safe Links protects against phishing links in email messages and Office documents. For example, when the user clicks a link in an email message, the service checks the link’s UEF address before opening it. If the URL is blocked or determined to be malicious, the user gets a warning page, eg. “This website was blocked by your Office 365 administrator”.
Safe Links protection adds a certain starting string in the front of the link (eg. ”https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/”). For now we have not noticed that Safe Links protection had caused any negative effects to the use of the services. However, if you notice a case, where Safe Links prevents the use of some IT service, please contact Service Desk.
There are 10 HP laptops and 2 iPads for short term loans available on both UEF campuses. The devices are meant to be borrowed only for a short term, up to 4 hours at a time.
To borrow a device, register as a user for the Optima vending machine, located in the Joensuu university library and the Kuopio Oppari facilities.
For more information about borrowing the devices, see asiointi.uef.fi (eServices) or Kamu https://kamu.uef.fi/en/student-book/oppari-services-for-students/
Beware of any, even a little bit suspicious emails. Notice that the emails can come from addresses belonging to UEF staff or students. Do NOT click any links or give your username and password even if the page seems to be valid. Usually the address of the webpage reveals that the page is not a valid UEF-page (eg. xxx-weebly.com).
If you are not sure about the validity of the email, please contact IT Services: abuse [at] uef.fi.
If you get a phishing email:
1. If you don’t see a similar message in Yammer, forward the example message to abuse [at] uef.fi
2. Delete the message without clicking any links
If you have clicked the links or have suspicions regarding your information safety:
1. Change your UEF-password to a NEW one in uef.fi/en/tipa/unohditko-salasanasi or by visiting the Servicedesk with your ID in Carelia library or Canthia 2nd floor
2. If you cannot send messages to external addresses, please be in contact with servicedesk [at] uef.fi. Microsoft has then banned you as a spammer
3. The phishers have also created rules to the Inbox: you can delete the rules from the settings of the mail or ask for help from the Servicedesk